Building Permits - Miscellaneous

Work Requiring a Permit

The following is a list of miscellaneous projects that require permits for work in the Town of Westlake:

  • Pools / Spas
  • Mechanical
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Irrigation
  • Grading
  • Roofs
  • Fences / Retaining Walls
  • Signs
  • Outdoor Lighting
  • Construction Trailers
  • Solar Panels 
  • Water Wells

Permit Submittal

  • Plans may be submitted in person with a complete application at the Town Hall or online through MyGov
  • All submittals must have a digital set accompanied with a hard copy of the plans
  • Some permits may require payment at time of submittal

Permit Requirements

Pool Permits

  • Approval from respective subdivision's ACC (Architectural Control Committee) / HOA
  • Site plan that shows the pool and all surrounding buildings
  • Dimension from water's edge to each building
  • All property lines must be shown
  • All easements must be shown
  • Plans require release from Tri-County
  • See Pool Permit Guidelines for more information

Irrigation Permits

  • One hard copy and one digital file of the plans are required at submittal
  • Plans should show the following:
    • Irrigation system layout
    • Connection to public water supply
    • Location of backflow prevention devices
    • Type of backflow device to be installed
  • Backflow tests must be performed by a registered, TCEQ licensed assembly tester.
  • An irrigation permits complete once a backflow test is received and the Final Inspection/Customer Service Inspection has been passed.

Single Trade Permits (MEPs)

  • Site plan that shows location of work to be performed may be requested depending on the size and scope of the project
  • See outdoor lighting requirements here

Sign Permits

  • See signage requirements here

Driveway/Approach Permits

  • Dimensional Control Plan
  • Paving Plans
  • Grading Plans
  • Drainage Plans
  • NCTCOG/Westlake Driveway Details
  • Horizontal/Vertical Control

Roof Permits

  • Site plans of location
  • Roofing material
  • HOA approval

Fences / Retaining Wall Permits

  • Site plan show location and scope of work
  • Dimension, height, and type of material
  • Retaining Walls over 4 feet require plans to be stamped by a professional engineer
  • HOA approval

Water Well Permits

  • Site plan that shows location of the well and all surrounding buildings
  • Landscape Plan showing screening of the well from ROW
  • HOA approval
  1. Permitting & Inspections

    Phone: 817-490-5718

  2. Dottie Samaniego

    Permit Technician
    Phone: (817) 490-5745

  3. Pat Cooke

    Chief Building Official
    Phone: (817) 490-5726


Mobile Food Units / Trucks / Vendors

The Town of Westlake does not require a permit for mobile food units/trucks/vendors. However, the following can/may apply:

  • Vendors are responsive for HOA or POA approval
  • 2018 IFGC will be applied to trucks
  • Tarrant/Denton County Health Department regulations apply
  • A vendor may not be on a property for more than two hours