- About Westlake
- Community Events
- Decoration Day
About Decoration Day
Have you ever been to a Decoration Day? This annual event is a community tradition of recognizing the brave men and women who have sacrificed their lives in service to our great nation. As a salute to those fallen soldiers, the Westlake Historical Preservation Society hosts its annual Decoration Day event each Memorial Day from 6:00 - 7:30 pm at the I.O.O.F. Cemetery, located at 3101 J.T. Ottinger Road in Westlake. It is one of our most favored and memorable events. Everyone is welcome!
Plans for our 2019 Event
We send heartfelt thanks to our WHPS members for all of their hard work to bring yet another memorable and moving program to our community as we can never show enough gratitude to those fallen soldiers, and their families. Westlake sincerely thanks you for the freedoms we enjoy today!
Highlights for this year's event include:
- Special music by Colla Voce Texas and Audrey Drake with taps by Ryan Williams
- Free hot dogs and all the trimmings, with watermelon and ice cream, too!
- Free Dutch oven cobbler prepared onsite by local Boy Scout Troop 170
- Westlake's history book The Little Town that Could, available for purchase ($50)
- Guest speaker Jerry Stewart, nationally syndicated radio show host and author, is sure to move the audience with "Quotations from the Past" and "Sounds of Freedom"
Each year, guests of all ages are invited to participate and learn about the tradition of the Buddy Poppy, with proceeds benefiting our local VFW chapter in Roanoke.
Don't forget - Bring your lawn chairs or blankets and mosquito spray but no pets, please. Limited seating will be available there.
We promise to bring you another year of complimentary admission, food, and parking too at our community's old-fashioned Memorial Day event! We hope to see you on Monday, May 27, 2019!