Driver's Safety Course

Eligibility Information 

The defendant is NOT eligible to take a driver safety course if:

  1. The offense is for speeding 95 miles per hour or more.
  2. The offense is for speeding 25 or more miles per hour over the speed limit in a regular zone; 15 or more miles per hour over the speed limit in a school zone.
  3. The defendant has a CDL (commercial driver's license)
  4. The offense relates to the "Duty to Give Information and Aid" (leaving the scene of an accident).
  5. The offense relates to "Overtaking and Passing a School Bus."
  6. The offense is committed in a construction or maintenance work zone while workers are present.
  7. The offense is identified as a serious traffic violation in Section 522.003(25) of the Transportation Code.

Defendant Requirements 

  1. You must have a valid Texas driver's license or permit, proof of active military duty or proof that you are a spouse or dependent child of a person on active military duty.
  2. You must present proof of valid financial responsibility (usually automobile insurance) with your name listed on the policy.
  3. You cannot have completed a defensive driving course in the past 12 months prior to your citation.
  4. You cannot currently be taking a driver safety course for a traffic violation in another court.

Request Procedures

In order to request a driving safety course, you must submit the following to the court on or before your initial court setting:

  1. $109.00 Court Cost Fee  ($134.00 for offenses in school zone);
  2. A valid copy of your Texas drivers license (or other approved documents);
  3. A valid copy of your liability insurance card and/or proof of financial responsibility;
  4. Completed driving safety request affidavit located in the forms section.

Upon approval of the request by the Judge, you will need to complete the following (if requesting by mail, court staff will mail you instructions):

  1. Complete the driver safety course (outside vendor - approximate cost of $30-$50)
  2. Obtain your driving record from the State - you will need "Type 3A" (
  3. Return your instruction sheet provided by the Court with all necessary portions completed and signed by the defendant.

If you fail to sign your court copy of the certificate of completion or fail to sign the affidavit, you may then be required to pay the balance of your citation and it will be counted as a conviction on your driving record.

If you are having difficulty searching for the Town of Westlake with your defensive driving company, we can typically be found by searching under Denton County.