Richard Whitten began serving as Westlake’s Fire Chief and Emergency Management Coordinator in May 2009, previously rising through the ranks beginning in January 2005. He has spent the last 30+ years in the fire service, bringing extensive experience from a broad range of community risks, operational challenges, organizational development, and leadership.
He values the opportunity to lead and work with others in transforming the organization into a progressive, highly-credible, and leading emergency services organization.
“My philosophy is Developing Leaders of Character through a Values Focused-Intellectually Driven culture.” – Richard Whitten
Education and Professional Memberships
- Master Degree – Business Administration
- Bachelor Degree – Fire Science
- Executive Fire Officer (EFO) – National Fire Academy
- Certified Fire Executive (CFE) – Texas Fire Chief’s Academy
- Fire Service-Chief Executive Officer (FS-CEO)– Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service
- Leading, Educating, and Developing (LEAD) – Weldon Cooper School of Public Service
- Member, International Association of Fire Chiefs
- Member, Texas Fire Chief’s Association
- Member, Tarrant County Fire Chief’s Association
- Member, Denton County Fire Chief’s Association